What is an introvert?
Introversion is a personality trait. People who are introverts are more inward thinking. They focus mostly on their own thoughts, feelings and moods. By others, they may be seen as shy or quiet.
What is an extrovert?
Extroverts are pretty much the exact opposite of an introvert. Extroverts tend to be more talkative, outgoing and enthusiastic. They tend to get a buzz from going to a social event.
Personality traits of an introvert:
- You enjoy having time to yourself.
- You often wear ear phones when out in public (I’m guilty. I’m very guilty of this).
- You have a small group of close friends.
- You get described as quiet and shy by others (Gets more annoying each time).
- Sometimes being in groups of people drains your energy (Sorry).
Personality traits of an extrovert:
- You like/love to talk.
- People might describe you as friendly and approachable.
- You like/love being in social situation.
- You don’t always enjoy being in your own company.
- You enjoy meeting and speaking to new people.
So can you be both?
Of course, this is called Ambivert. I’m both an introvert and an extrovert, but slightly more introverted. It can be like a constant conflict in your head sometimes. I absolutely love being on my own and in my own company, but I also don’t like being on my own because I’m on my own. Sometimes when I’m around other people I tend to wait for them to take the lead with the conversations. I’m not quiet, I can talk all day but I don’t want to waste my time and energy making small talk. Urgh…boring. Life’s too short, it’s just not worth it. My issue then is, my anxiety might kick in and I’ll get paranoid about what i’m talking about. I like to talk about life experiences/stories, sex, empowerment, space and all things spooky, but what if the person i’m with doesn’t want to talk about that kinda stuff? That’s why I stay quiet and wait for them to choose a topic of conversation which can either go amazingly well or it can massively backfire on me.
Signs you’re a ambivert:
- You find it easy to make new friends but it’s so difficult to maintain them.
- You tend to be quiet in a crowd.
- Small talk can make you feel sick.
- You often wonder if you need/prefer alone time or extra stimulation.
- You’re very selective with your social calendar. Your time is valuable!
I’d never heard of an introvert and extrovert till last year or the year before maybe, and I’ve only recently heard of a ambivert. My friend recommended this online test you can take to see which one best represents your personality. So I did it and it came out with introvert. So I did my research and I was amazed at how relevant it was to me! So I looked up extrovert, and it kinda related to me too! That’s when I heard about Ambivert. Someone who is kinda half intro and half extro.
When it comes to this topic of conversation I feel like it can be very easy for people to judge. Introverts can be seen as rude. Extroverts can be seen as arrogant and Ambiverts can be see as pretty abnormal. Well you’re not. You’re your own person with your own personality. You know your true self and if someone isn’t understanding that then fuck them! You don’t need that sort of negativity in yourself. I’ve left so many people behind this year, mostly because they just didn’t get it. They tried to make me be someone I wasn’t. You need to remember its your life. Its your time and energy. If you don’t want to waste it, don’t waste it! Use your time and energy for someone who will benefit you. It’s your life.
Whether you’re spending your day in the company of others or having some you time, I hope your day is filled with positive energy and happiness.
Love you all lots,